Pages

Bananas Foster

>> Tuesday, July 21, 2009


Sometimes I just get a craving for something and I absolutely have to make it right away or I'll be cranky and distracted until I do. Does this ever happen to you?

A few weeks ago the thought of bananas foster popped into my head and would not go away. I'd never made it before but I've had it a few times and the idea of gooey caramel sauce and warm sweet bananas with cold, creamy vanilla ice cream would not leave me alone. I had to make it.

This recipe is pretty straightforward with a few easy to find ingredients. There are a lot of variations out there with cinnamon or vanilla but I wanted to let the butter and sugar star. I did add a little kosher salt to bump up the caramel taste but you can add or subtract anything you like. This was the sous chef's first time trying this dish and he gave it two thumbs up.

- 4 bananas, not overripe but not green (I like mine a little tart but they need to have enough sugar in them to get a little mushy and soak up the yummy sauce)
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 tbsp banana liqueur
- Pinch of kosher salt to taste
- Vanilla ice cream

Peel bananas then cut in half across the middles. Slice the halves lengthwise so you have quartered the bananas.

Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet or pan large enough to hold all the bananas in without having to pile them on top of one another. (my skillet was too small. It worked OK but would have been better with a larger skillet so the sauce could get a little thicker and coat the fruit more evenly)

Once it's melted add the brown sugar until it's mixed and has begun to melt and bubble.
Spread the bananas in the mixture face down and let them simmer about 1 minute.
Flip bananas over so the other side can caramelize and let cook for another minute.

Pour in the rum and the banana liqueur and tilt the pan toward you so the liquor pools near the edge then light the liquor using a long kitchen match or long lighter. Careful! It may flame up pretty high.
Shift the pan so the booze distributes then let it burn out. Stir a bit to incorporate the sauce and bananas.

Place bananas on top of vanilla ice cream then pour remaining sauce over the top. Serve fast, the ice cream starts to melt right away! So rich!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!