Pages

"What the Kale?" chips

>> Friday, March 12, 2010

I hope I can redeem myself from my last heart stopping post with this healthierish one. The blogs have been ablaze the past few months with eaters extolling the virtues of kale chips. "Addictive!" they proclaimed, "Taste just like potato chips!" they promised, "You'll eat a whole head of kale in one sitting!" they declared. After falling head over heels for kale in this salad, I knew this snack was going to seal the deal. I bought 3 bunches of kale at the farmer's market, rushed home, cooked em up and...I was underwhelmed. Sad to say. My first batch was too salty. My second was better but it sure didn't make a kale-aterian of me. I think I might try again with curly kale instead of the flashy Cavolo Negro I used but many other bloggers seemed to love the CN. For those of you who still haven't tried this recipe (is there anyone still out there?) here is what I did. Please try it and let me know if you think I'm bananas for not jumping on the highway to kale (I'd apologize for the puns, but I'm not sorry!)

Ingredients:
- 1 Bunch Kale (I used black kale or Cavolo Nero, I think curly might work better)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Seasoned Salt*

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
Remove stems from kale leaves. If using Cavalo Nero, cut leaves away from hard stems, if using curly kale, just cut off the stem at the bottom of the kale leaf. Rip or cut kale into bit size pieces.
Wash your Kale well. Mine was from the Organic Farmer's Market in SaMo and had all kinds of buggies and crusties up in it.
I washed the heck out of it then gave it a long whirl in the salad spinner.
Blot with paper towels and set out until completely dry. Any wetness will cause the kale to steam rather than bake/roast and it will be soggy and not crunchy.

Place dried kale in a bowl and toss with olive oil.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread kale out in one even layer on baking sheet, you may need two sheets in order to avoid piling the kale up.

Bake for 10-20 minutes or until crispy but not brown.

Immediately after removing from the oven, sprinkle with seasoned salt.
Serve right away!

*I made one batch with kosher salt and one with garlic salt and I wasn't crazy about the flavor of those two. They were a bit too bitter and waaaaaay too salty. You can play with whatever seasonings and spices you like. Seasoned salt was my fave.

1 comments:

ejj242 March 15, 2010 at 10:06:00 PM PDT  

Tell me more about that sweet dog at the bottom right of the photo!!!

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!