Pages

Crock Pot Balsamic Roast with Sweet Onions

>> Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Crock pots might seem a little old fashioned to those who haven't yet discovered how magical they are. It's true, many of the old crock pot recipes are pretty grandma-esque and gnarly but there are a lot of things you can make in a crock pot that might surprise you. I have big plans for some coconut creme brulee and there is just no beating chili that is hot and ready the second you get home from work.

I came across this recipe on Ask Georgie and it looked too easy to be true. It's CRAZY simple and CRAZY delicious. The beef gets so tender it just melts under your fork and the sweet onions combine with the balsamic and tomato sauce to make a rich and flavorful gravy. Not only is this recipe easy peasy lemon squeezy AND packed with iron-rich protein, it's also crazy cheap! When I made it, London Broil was on sale and I made the whole meal (enough for about 6 servings) for under $10!!! You're killing me Larry!
Recipe Adapted from askgeorgie.com

-1.75 lb top round beef (aka London Broil), trimmed of excess fat
- kosher salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp white wine
Season beef on both sides with decent dusting of salt and seasonings.
Heat oil in a large pan until very hot, and brown beef on both sides.
Slice the onion into thick half  rings, and place in bottom of slow cooker. Place meat on top.
In a small bowl, stir together tomato sauce and balsamic vinegar.
Deglaze browning pan with water and white wine.
 Pour water/wine/pan dripping mixture and tomato balsamic mixture over beef.
Place lid on crock and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
Mmmmm. If you do all these steps in the morning, you will come home from work to a smell that will make your mouth water!
Serve with a nice starchy side like mashed potatoes or my new fave, cauliflower puree (recipe coming soon!)

3 comments:

MorganRourke April 23, 2010 at 10:58:00 AM PDT  

I have become crock-pot obsessed! Have you seen this website?


http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Callie @ The Picky Gourmet April 23, 2010 at 11:03:00 AM PDT  

Oh my goodness! I think I'm in trouble now! Those recipes look to die for! Thanks for the tip!

June July 20, 2010 at 10:42:00 AM PDT  

I think I will try this It looks so good. I have a question for experienced crock pot cooks. Since getting my first crockpot a few months ago, I have found that onions always end up tough, chewy and rubbery unless I brown them first in a frypan. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anyway to avoid this rubbery texture without pre-cooking?

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!