Pages

Grilled Ahi Salad with Lemony Greek Dressing

>> Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's summertime! Everything is better in summertime. The food I find at the Farmer's Markets and even at the grocery store inspires me. Walking through the summer markets I have to slow my brain and remind myself that there are only so many meals I can cook and eat in a day. Just because I love juicy nectarines doesn't mean I need 30 of them RIGHT NOW! I know I'm not the only one who feels the giddiness of summer; as I peruse my favorite blogs, I'm encountering rhapsodic descriptions of strawberries (!) tomatoes (!) asparagus (!) cherries (!) peaches (!) and all the other signs that the good stuff is ripe and ready.

This salad may not scream summer, it isn't packed with veggies, but it isn't too heavy and it's the perfect dinner to eat before heading to the beach for a sunset walk (or cocktail if you're into that sort of thing.) The bright lemon in this homemade dressing mellows the richness of the roasted garlic making it light and luscious. Keeping the tuna cold until you sear it ensures a nice jewel-pink center.
Enjoy!

Ingredients:

For salad dressing:
- 1 head of garlic, roasted until soft and caramelized
- 4 Tbs dried oregano
- 3 Tbs dried basil
- 6 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice

For tuna
- 1 1/4 lb tuna steak cut into two pieces
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- sprinkle oregano
- sprinkle salt
- sprinkle pepper

- 1/2 bag baby spring greens or other delicate, leafy greens of your choice

For dressing:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roast garlic by lopping off the top of a head of garlic and drizzling in a decent amount of olive oil. Rub olive oil all over the head of garlic then wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Place onto a baking dish or into a muffin tin and roast for 35-45 minutes. Garlic is done when it is buttery soft and a light caramel color. Scoop out cloves and pulverize with a fork. Add all other dressing ingredients and whisk together or whiz in a food processor.

Rub tuna with olive oil and lemon juice sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano. Marinate in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes.
Heat a grill pan over medium high heat, when very hot, add tuna, sear 2 minutes on each side for a 3/4 inch thick piece of tuna. Remove from heat and refrigerate until ready to use. Just before you place tuna on salad, slice into thin strips.
Drizzle dressing* over greens then spread tuna over the top. Serve!

*you'll have lots of leftover dressing, keep it and use it for other salads or as a marinade for chicken!

2 comments:

Matty Q. June 23, 2010 at 5:45:00 PM PDT  

I hope people make this, I can assure you all it's delicious!

Pro-Portional June 24, 2010 at 4:51:00 PM PDT  

I'll have to remember this. What a beautiful beautiful salad

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!