Pages

Tomatermelon Goat Cheese Salad with Avocado

>> Monday, May 4, 2009


I had some leftover goat cheese from my pizza and wanted to use it up in something easy and tasty. I decided to make a summery salad with a tangy dressing and a surprise element. The avocado in this dish may sound a little weird but the creaminess balances out the acid in the tomato and the sharp tang of the goat cheese. The slightly salty dressing makes the watermelon extra sweet and juicy. There are a million ways you could play with this salad to adjust it to your tastes (try basil or fresh mint instead of chives) but it's pretty fantastic as is (if I do say so myself)

For Dressing

- 3-4 oz goat cheese (reserve a bit of goat cheese to put on top of the salad)
- 4 tbsp buttermilk
- 3 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp. sugar to taste
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks fresh chives, snipped into teeny tiny pieces
- splash of white wine

For Salad

- 3-4 large Heirloom tomatoes, cut into sections
- 4-5 Cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2" - 1" chunks of watermelon (as much as you like, I used about 2 cups)
- 1 avocado cut into small chunks
- 1-2 tbsp goat cheese

Mix veggies and fruit together in a large bowl.

Whisk together dressing ingredients.

Plop a few dollops of goat cheese on top.

Pour dressing over salad and enjoy!

2 comments:

Lincoln May 17, 2009 at 9:07:00 AM PDT  

We had baby goats at the far this week and my mom said we might try to steal some milk from an unsuspecting mommy goat and make goat cheese! You play your cards right you could find yourself knee deep in homemade organic (I think?) goat cheese!

Callie Anne May 17, 2009 at 9:09:00 AM PDT  

Woah! That would be incredible! I want to test out a new recipe of goat cheese deviled eggs. Maybe YOU could be a taste tester. A little birdie tells me you have some pretty delish organic eggs as well...

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!