Pages

Blood Orange Vanilla Sorbet

>> Thursday, February 11, 2010

 This easy and delicious dessert is seasonal in more ways than one. The gorgeous blood oranges are at their peak in winter and the luscious red color of this sorbet is perfect for Valentine's Day.
 The tartness and slight bitterness of the fruit is mellowed by the addition of vanilla bean. If you have an ice cream maker, I implore you to make this. It is sweet, seductive and complex, a "grown-up" version of the classic creamsicle flavor.

Ingredients:
- 2 3/4 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- Juice of one lemon
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 cup water to cook with sugar and vanilla and an additional 1/2 cup water to mix with juice
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 3/4 cups sugar

First make a vanilla bean simple syrup. In a small saucepan, place sugar, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise and scraped. Heat over medium heat and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Simmer on very low heat to allow the vanilla seeds to distribute and flavor the mixture.

Juice the citrus then strain through a fine mesh strainer. Push out all the juice, don't worry if some pulp goes through strainer, it won't affect the sorbet.
 Pour the juice, 1/2 cup water, and simple syrup into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions. (Mine was frozen and ready in 25 minutes.)
 Scoop out and serve or put in airtight container and freeze.

4 comments:

Sophia February 12, 2010 at 9:58:00 AM PST  

This pink is blinding...but in such a good way!!! I love sorbet so much and I will want to try this on Sunday! I know my boyfriend will love it too! Here is my fave sorbet recipe: http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/10_minute_rainbow_sorbet.htm

The Wind Attack February 12, 2010 at 3:03:00 PM PST  

I'm addicted to blood oranges and I love sorbet, so this sounds great! I might be tempted to use rice milk instead of water to give it a little more body. Looks lovely and I'm sure it tastes fantastic.

Callie Anne February 13, 2010 at 7:33:00 AM PST  

I hope you both enjoy! Rice milk should make it even more creamsicle-y, sounds delish!

Anonymous,  February 28, 2010 at 11:48:00 PM PST  

You amaze me. I love your recipes and posts.

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!