Pages

GLOW Mango Curry Gingersnap Ice Cream Sammiches

>> Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I'm a blabbermouth. In school, without fail, my report cards came home with notes from teachers about how I was very bright but talkative to the point of being disruptive. My parents were mostly concerned with my grades and since those were always top notch, they never felt much need to squelch my social nature. I still talk. A lot. About everything. I have strong opinions and when I find something I like or something I dislike, people are going to hear about it.
I found something I like. I like it a lot. I think I might even LOVE it.
I found Glow Gluten Free cookies. They are not bland, or sandy or dry or earthy, or stick-in-your-teethy or off in any way whatsoever. I have tried a lot of gluten free cookies and I have not reviewed them here because one thing my parents did attempt to impart to me through my years of disruptive babbling was that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. So there. Even the very best gluten-free cookies were still good GLUTEN-FREE cookies. These are just good cookies. I would even venture so far as to say these are some of the best packaged cookies I have EVER had. I have to hide them from my non-G-Free Sous Chef and he is a cookie aficionado.
Glow cookies come in four flavors: Snickerdoodle, Chocolate Chip, Double Chocolate Chip and Gingersnap. I have never been a fan of gingersnap cookies but I love Glow cookies so much that I was determined to eat every last morsel of every flavor. I decided that I needed something creamy and flavorful to balance out the spiciness of the ginger. I came up with the idea of making ice cream sandwiches using the gingersnaps and homemade mango curry ice cream. The result was catastrophically delicious. I must urge ALL of you out there to not only GET THEE TO LOCALI (or go online) AND BUY SOME GLOW COOKIES but also to MAKE THIS RECIPE ASAP!

Mango Curry Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- juice of one small lemon
- 2 tsp sweet yellow curry powder
- 2 1/2 cups mango puree (I used 10 very ripe Ataulfo Mexican mangoes)
Peel the mangoes then cut them into chunks and puree in blender or food processor until smooth.
Strain through mesh strainer if puree is lumpy or stringy. Set puree aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream together the yolks and sugar until smooth.
 Heat the cream in a saucepan to just below boiling.
Temper the eggs by whisking a cup of the hot cream VERY slowly into the egg mixture. Once you've brought them up to temperature, add the tempered eggs to the cream mixture.

Gently heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring often. The mixture will begin to thicken. Continue heating until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon.

Remove from heat immediately and whisk the mixture for a minute to stop the custard from cooking. Whisk in the curry powder. Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a metal bowl set over an ice bath.
Stir in the vanilla and mango puree.
 Place the liquid, still in the ice bath into the refrigerator. When it's completely cold, pour it into ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions.
When the ice cream is ready, scoop into a plastic container and freeze for at least a few hours to harden.

Scoop one large scoop of ice cream onto a gingersnap and place another gingersnap on top. Smoosh slightly then place in a zipper freezer bag and freeze overnight (this softens the cookie just slightly and keeps the sandwich together better when you eat it.) Enjoy with a glass of ice cold milk, soy milk or almond milk. Cry from happiness.

6 comments:

Mark @ Cafe Campana May 15, 2010 at 11:45:00 PM PDT  

Mmmm that ice cream looks delicious. The first I saw of curry in icecream was on Iron Chef. I love the combination with the ginger snaps.

Michelle May 20, 2010 at 11:02:00 AM PDT  

This is such a fantstic recipe and i love the fact that you made it from scratch!!!! Combining it with ginger snaps is ingenious. :) I can imagine drizzling some orange marmalade over the top....yummm

Melanie May 23, 2010 at 4:03:00 PM PDT  

I love ginger snaps and mango ice cream--wonderful ice cream sandwich and lovely photos.

Callie @ The Picky Gourmet May 23, 2010 at 9:11:00 PM PDT  

Thanks for all the kind words! I never saw that iron chef but I am glad to know my idea of putting curry in ice cream wasn't totally bonkers! I hope you guys try and enjoy the recipe!

Jill Murray June 4, 2010 at 4:03:00 PM PDT  

Excellent! I was just googling "curry mango ice cream" because I too had that idea, and I too wanted to check and make sure I wasn't totally bonkers. Now I know that if I am insane, I'm in good company, and I'll still dine well in spite of it.

Callie @ The Picky Gourmet June 5, 2010 at 6:04:00 PM PDT  

Do let me know how yours turns out! Hope you love it as much as I did!

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!