Pages

Day 3 of Detox

>> Tuesday, January 5, 2010



Day three I deviated a bit from the GOOP plan because it's not terribly convenient for me to make smoothies or oatmeal at my job. Instead of having oatmeal for breakfast, smoothie for lunch, and various juice concoctions for dinner, I did this:
- Wake up: 7:00 - glass of room temp lemon water
- Mug of herbal tea: 7:30
- Smoothie made with almond milk, frozen mangoes, raspberries and blueberries and protein and greens powder: 8:00
- Coconut Water: 11:00
- Asian Pear: 1:00
- Butter lettuce, cucumber and avocado salad with carrot ginger miso dressing: 2:30
- Braeburn apple: 4:30
- Dinner: 1/2 can Anderson's Pea Soup (I didn't make my own soup because I was on the go. This soup is vegetarian, gluten and fat free and doesn't have any detox no-no's but I still felt guilty eating it: 7:00
- Snack - handful of roasted peanuts in the shell
- Smooth Move Tea and tsp of olive oil before bed

Cravings for cheese and peanut butter were intense. The worst part of the day was the salad. I was SO looking forward to it but the heartburn I experienced last time I had this dressing was NOTHING compared to what I felt today. It felt like my chest was in a vice. A vice made of fire. With spikes in it. It hurt SO much I could barely breathe.  Clearly my body reacts poorly to something in that dressing. I think it might be the shallots or the ginger. I only ate half the salad which left me pretty hungry but I was able to resist temptation and stay strong.

Here is the recipe for the broccoli and arugula soup I had yesterday. It looks gorgeous and tastes almost as good :)

- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly diced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets (about 2/3 pound)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon each coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup arugula (watercress would be good, too)
- 1/2 lemon

Heat the olive oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for just a minute or until fragrant. Add the broccoli and cook for four minutes or until bright green. Add the water, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover. Cook for eight minutes or until the broccoli is just tender. Pour the soup into a blender and puree with the arugula until quite smooth. Be very careful when blending hot liquids; start slowly and work in batches if necessary (you don’t want the steam to blow the lid off). Serve the soup with a bit of fresh lemon. Makes two servings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!