Pages

Four down, three to go!

>> Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Detox day four was my best day yet, despite facing temptation the likes of which would bring any foodie to tears.

Tuesday was the day of my weekly cooking class and this weeks subject was yeast breads. Now I can't eat yeast breads even when I am NOT on a detox diet but that doesn't mean that the smell of a freshly baked sticky bun doesn't make my mouth water and sock me right in the gut. Even though I can't eat wheat breads, I still need to know how to make them and I also love school and my classmates and never want to miss a day of class so I geared up with a super hearty, detox friendly breakfast and went to school.
In class we made this:


and this:

 
and these:


And, this is the one that really hurt my feelings, this:


I took the bottom two pictures but after the pizza nearly caused me to commit hari kari, I got out of Dodge. One of my awesome classmates took the top two pics and sent them to me so I could see how the challah I made came out. Looks delish. I cry.

The important thing to note about all this was that I made it through! I survived and I even felt SO good, I went to the gym for 40 minutes of cardio and came home to do some Wii Fit yoga. The gym went well, the yoga, not so much. Does anyone else have an issue with that bitchy yoga instructor bossing them around? My pants were slippery and I kept losing my balance in tree pose and that skank kept yelling at me to "GET BACK ON THE BALANCE BOARD!" When I flipped her off instead she said "I know you took a break back there but it's important to keep at it." That's when I turned off the game and collapsed on the couch.

Day Four's food was awesome. Here's a breakdown:
- Wake up: 6:30, glass of room temp lemon water
- Mug of herbal tea: 7:15
- Smoothie made with almond milk, frozen black cherries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries and protein and greens powder: 8:30
- Gluten Free Oatmeal made with almond milk topped with fresh blueberries and toasted pecans: 9:15
- Coconut Water: 1:00
- Miso Soup: 3:30 (I used a packaged mix, don't tell Gwyneth!)
- Dinner of Salmon steamed on leeks, garlic and lemons with spinach and brown rice: 6:45

The oatmeal was hearty and delicious. Even my non-detoxing boyfriend had a bowl!

The Miso soup was surprisingly filling. I only ate half a bowl and I didn't eat any of the tofu or scallions (I cheated by using a mix but I still tried to follow the rules by not eating the soy.)

The best meal was dinner, this salmon is redic. I am thinking about having this meal once a week to make sure I get some of that healthy fish in my diet. Here are photos and the recipe:
- 1 leek cut in half across the middle and then lengthwise
- 1 6 oz. salmon filet (Gwyneth says Organic, mine was not)
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- a cup of your favorite fresh greens (kale, spinach, dandelion, chard, etc.)
- 1/2 a lemon
 
Line your steamer with the leeks, lemons and garlic.
 
Rest the salmon filet on top of the leeks and add a pinch of salt and pepper.

Steam for 11 minutes. Put the greens alongside the fish and steam for an additional 7 minutes.
 
Squeeze the lemon over the fish and greens and serve.
SOOOOO filling and tasty. You won't believe how much flavor is infused by the leeks and garlic.

Onward and upward to detox day 5!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  January 6, 2010 at 4:16:00 PM PST  

My roomie and I did this detox once. We also cheated with the miso, and still managed to spend about a $100 at Whole Foods for the week.

Enjoy the fish, chicken, and quinoa days...

Callie Anne January 7, 2010 at 8:51:00 AM PST  

I definitely love the fish, the chicken I'm not sold on yet. God bless Trader Joe's! I think I've bought them out of almond milk! Did you guys feel benefits from the diet?

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!