Pages

Detox Week: 1 down 6 to go!

>> Saturday, January 2, 2010


Today was the first day of my week long detox diet. So far, so good! Using recipes from GOOP, I feel great about the food I've eaten today. So far I have lost 13 pounds, my hair has grown two inches and I have so much energy, I no longer need more than 20 minutes of sleep per day! Yeah, no. Not really. Truth is, I feel kind of crummy. I think this is to be expected. It's called a detox for a reason, out you toxins, out!
I started the day with lemon water then some minty herbal tea. Mmmm. Lovely way to start the morning. Breakfast was a smoothie made with fresh blueberries and almond milk with some protein and greens powders thrown in for good measure. It was super tasty and kept me full for a long time.
Mid-morning I had a coconut water. I love that stuff. It has to be icy cold though or it tastes like hot tub water. Gross.
Lunch was a salad and O! what a salad it was: butter lettuce, radicchio, avocado and cucumber. The best part was the dressing. Here is the recipe:
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh ginger (easy to peel, use a spoon!
- 1 tablespoon sweet white miso
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons water


Pulse the carrot, shallot and ginger in a blender until finely chopped. Scrape down the sides, add the miso, vinegar and sesame seed oil and whiz together. While the blender is going, slowly drizzle in the grapeseed oil and the water.

This dressing is SO flavorful. Detox or no detox, I will be eating this dressing a lot in 2010. Unfortunately, it gave me awful heartburn so tomorrow I will remember to take an acid reducer in the morning.

Afternoon snack was a handful of pepitas and sunflower seeds. Meh. Filled me up enough.

Dinner was another GOOP recipe, broccoli and arugula soup. It was ok. Very filling and warm. I am enjoying this diet so far. Feeling full but knowing I am eating healthy, cleansing foods makes me happy. At this point I'm not having any major cravings and I look forward to tomorrow!

2 comments:

skew83 January 3, 2010 at 12:22:00 AM PST  

Good for you Cal. Just not eating the complex animal proteins that rot in our intestines is a big help. I need to do similarly, despite not eating animals, eating their cheese is often worse than the meat.

Callie Anne January 3, 2010 at 12:38:00 PM PST  

Thanks for the support Johnny. I don't miss the animal flesh yet but I am starting to miss the gouda.

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!