Pages

On the 5th day of detox...

>> Thursday, January 7, 2010


I'm feeling the effects. The good, the bad and the ugly. I'll tell you about the good and the bad but spare you the ugly.

The good:
- I've lost 6 lbs so far! I can tell that my face looks thinner and I am less puffy everywhere.
- I've learned some tasty and super healthy new recipes.
- I feel more energetic
- I have more mental clarity and focus, I find myself able to get a lot more done during the day
- My appetite has decreased considerably
- My cravings for sweets and salt have gone way down (I still crave cheese but I think that's my soul talking)

The bad:
I've experienced every negative side effect you can imagine from this diet. Most of them started to dwindle by day 5.
- headaches
- skin rashes
- having to pee every 30 seconds
- nausea
- temperature fluctuations
- intense cravings
- having to eat some nasty stuff

Up until today, the good seemed to outweigh the bad but I can feel the scales beginning to tip and I am happy to be moving into the next phase of the detox.

Day 5 went like this:
- Wake up: 7:00, glass of room temp lemon water
- Mug of herbal tea: 7:15
- Smoothie made with almond milk, frozen mangoes, raspberries and blueberries and protein and greens powder: 8:00
- Coconut Water: 11:30
- Asian Pear: 1:00
- Beet, Apple, Carrot Lemon Juice 5:00
- Cucumber Avocado Soup: 7:30

The beet juice was AWESOME! I don't usually love beets (I am learning to like them) but this juice was sweet and sour and just plain tasty. If you have a juicer, you really should try it. The SOUP on the other hand was basically inedible. Maybe I did something wrong or maybe my lime was too old but the soup was really bitter and incredibly sour and salty. Not a great combo. I love limes and can drink lime juice straight but this tasted like thick, salty lime juice. No thanks.


Here is the recipe for the juice:
- 1 large or 2 medium beets, peeled and cut into wedges (if the core is really tough and fibrous, discard it or it can make your juicer cranky)
- 1 lemon, zest and pith removed (I juiced mine with a citrus squeezer right into the glass)
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large apple, cut into wedges
- 1" piece of ginger

Juice everything into a class and stir well, then drink up!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

please leave comments or questions!